Monday 11 January 2016

6th January

My last day off before back to work so I loaded up my bike and did my favourite circuit of gravel pits.
Whitemoor Haye.
30 Siskins were still present but quite mobile, 600 Lapwing, 1 Redshank calling from the pig field, several Tree Sparrows and Yellowhammers, Goldeneye, Tufties and the Whooper Swan still in the field.
National Arboretum.
After getting a puncture and getting my mom to pick it up and take it to my house I continued on foot.  Nothing special in the arboretum but did add Redwing and Mistle Thrush to the year list.
Junction Pit.
Seconds after arriving the Cetti's Warbler blasted its unforgettable song, this must be the third year this bird has been present.  Has it got a mate? I wouldn't have thought it would hung around if it didn't attract a mate so there maybe a breeding pair there we don't know about!!  2 Snipe were chilling o the bank and five Redshank flew over and appeared to drop in.
Croxall Wides.
Grey Wagtail was the only bird of note on this very flooded corner of the arboretum/river Trent.
Alrewas GP.
4 Goldeneye, 116 Tufties, 10 Gadwall, 7 Teal, 18 Mallard, 41 Coot, at least 3 Chiffchaff and several Goldcrest - new for the year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment